2nd ANNUAL “SPACEFEST” TO PROVIDE SPACE-THEMED ACTIVITIES, EXHIBITS AND DEMONSTRATIONS AT THE INTREPID SEA, AIR & SPACE MUSEUM THURSDAY, JULY 25 – SUNDAY JULY 28
THE INTREPID SEA, AIR, & SPACE MUSEUM
West 46th Street and 12th Avenue at Hudson River Park
2nd ANNUAL “SPACEFEST” TO PROVIDE SPACE-THEMED
ACTIVITIES, EXHIBITS AND DEMONSTRATIONS AT
THE INTREPID SEA, AIR & SPACE MUSEUM
THURSDAY, JULY 25 – SUNDAY JULY 28
Experience an exciting celebration of space, science, technology and innovation at the 2nd annual “SpaceFest,” featuring the newly reopened Space Shuttle Pavilion surrounding Space Shuttle Enterprise at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, located at Pier 86 (46th Street and 12th Avenue) in Manhattan, from Thursday, July 25 – Sunday, July 28.
The festival will offer guests a variety of interactive displays, activities, exhibitions and presentations, as well as astronaut appearances, an astronomy night, and a free movie screening on the flight deck of the Intrepid.
Highlights of “SpaceFest” include:
- Free screening of the popular film Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) on Intrepid’s Flight Deck on the evening of Friday, July 26, doors open at 7:30pm;
- Meet and greets, presentations and autograph signings with astronauts Ellen Baker, Mario Runco, Jr., Charles Camarda, Lee Morin, and former United Space Alliance Spacecraft Shop Lead, Tim Keyser;
- A free Astronomy night under the stars, with local astronomers helping visitors navigate the night sky and offering talks and demonstrations on space science and cosmic wonders on the evening of Saturday, July 27 at 8:00PM;
- NASA space demonstrations, activities and hands-on exhibits;
- LEGO Master Builder Ed Diment will unveil a 3.5-foot LEGO replica of the Space Shuttle Enterprise. Visitors are also invited to participate in building a 6’x 6’ LEGO mosaic which will recreate the iconic photo of Enterprise flying over Central Park;
- Hands-on, highly interactive exhibitions, activities, games and demonstrations, including virtual goggles that take visitors into outer space, stop-motion animation movies, 3-D printing experiences and the opportunity to design your own lunar landing video game;
- Inflatable rock climbing wall;
- Appearances from the 501st Garrison Star Wars characters on Sunday, July 28;
- Education demonstrations and Tour Guide Talks from the Intrepid Museum staff.
All “SpaceFest” activities are free with admission to the Museum; activities taking place on the Pier are free and open to the public. All events and appearances are subject to change. For a complete schedule of events, visit www.intrepidmuseum.org.
EVENT: 2nd Annual “SpaceFest”
DATE: Thursday, July 25 – Sunday, July 28
LOCATION: Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
Pier 86 (46th Street and 12th Avenue)
About the Museum
Now home of the Space Shuttle Enterprise, the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum complex includes the 900-foot-long aircraft carrier Intrepid; the guided missile submarine Growler; and an extensive collection of 27 aircraft including the A-12 Blackbird, the fastest plane in the world, and the British Airways Concorde, the fastest commercial aircraft in the world. Guests can experience areas of the ship including the Flight Deck, Hangar Deck, fo’c’sle (commonly known as the anchor chain room), new multimedia presentations and exhibit collections, interactive educational stations and a state-of-the-art public pier.
Guests to the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum also can experience the 12,240 square-foot interactive Exploreum – which contains a variety of hands-on exhibits – that teaches guests about the different properties of the sea, air, space and living at sea as each relates to the ship Intrepid. In the Exploreum, guests can experience a flight simulator, transmit messages using Morse code, sit on the bunk of a crewmember, learn how the Intrepid turned salt water into fresh water and perform various tasks while wearing space gloves.
Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
April 1 – October 31:
Monday - Friday, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Saturday-Sunday, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
November 1 – March 31:
Monday-Sunday, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Museum Cost of Admission:
Seniors and College Students: $20.00
Youth 7-17: $19.00
Child 3-6: $12.00
Active Military, Retired Military and Children Under 3: Free
Tickets are available for purchase on the Intrepid’s website, www.intrepidmuseum.org.
Pier 86 (46th Street and 12th Avenue), Manhattan
Directions by NYC Metro Bus:
Take cross-town buses west. M34 (34th Sts), M42 (42nd St.) or M-50 (49th St.) to 12th Ave. and Hudson River. Intrepid is a short walk North from the M34 and M42. The M50 drops off immediately in front of the Intrepid.
Directions by NYC Metro Subway:
Take the A, C, E, N, Q, R, S, 1, 2, 3 or 7 train to 42nd St., then walk or take the M-42 West Bus to Hudson River (12th Ave). Walk North to Intrepid.
Directions from Water:
Take New York Water Taxi to Pier 84 and walk a block north to the Intrepid Museum. Or from New Jersey take the New York Waterway to Midtown (38th Street) and walk north on 12th Ave to the museum.