Camp Intrepid Counselor
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is one of America’s leading historic, cultural and educational institutions. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a national historic landmark, has welcomed more than 10 million visitors and currently welcomes almost one million visitors annually. The Museum's mission is "to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth." The Museum pursues this mission through a dynamic and enriching exhibition environment recounting human stories behind the machinery on display in relation to the service era of the Intrepid: in World War II, the Cold War, NASA recovery missions and three tours in Vietnam. In connection thereto, the Museum delivers a broad range of credible, innovative, and engaging educational programs supplementing classroom learning in history, science, and leadership as well as extensive public and proprietary programs honoring those who serve our country – all to inspire our youth.
This is a great opportunity to be a part of our exciting team!
We are seeking Counselors for Camp Intrepid during the summer of 2013 (approx 40 hours a week). Individuals will implement summer curricula to an assigned age group from 6/17/2013 – 8/23/2013. Ideal candidates will have experience working with children in a supervised camp or school setting, have demonstrated classroom management skills, show interest and understanding of age-appropriate activities, be dynamic, and have an enthusiasm for teaching and learning.
Pay Rate: Stipend
Duties and Responsibilities:
- 10 week commitment to position from 6/17/2013-8/23/2013, including prep, set up and break down of daily programs (camp training will be held in June prior to 6/17/2012 – dates tbd)
- Coordination and planning of activities with fellow Camp staff.
- Direct supervision of a designated camper group (camper ages will range from 5-13 – divided into 3 age groups).
- Implementation of age-appropriate lesson plans and activities as prescribed by thematic weekly curricula set forth in counselors’ outlines.
- Attendance at all camp meetings.
- Maintenance of classroom management and behavior skills.
- Maintenance of cleanliness and tidiness of classroom.
- Adherence to safety rules and guidelines of the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
Technical Job Specifications:
- Knowledge of and experience with hands-on exploration learning and teaching techniques.
- Knowledge of and experience with conflict resolution philosophy and techniques.
- Ability to work cooperatively with camp staff as a group and to initiate projects.
- Strong English verbal communication skills required, knowledge of additional languages a plus.
- Candidate must have their high school diploma and completed two years of college with classes/degree in education/psychology/museum education.
- Candidate must provide evidence of working with elementary school age children 5-13 years old in a supervised setting for at least 2-3 years (i.e. school, camp).
- Certification in CPR, First Aid and training in the use of EpiPen a plus.
For consideration, e-mail resume to: email@example.com. Be sure to include the title of the position in which you are interested in the Subject line.
No phone calls please.