| The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is a non-profit, educational institution featuring the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and a guided missile submarine. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a National Historic Landmark, has welcomed more than 2 million visitors since 2012. The Mission of the Intrepid Museum is to promote the awareness and understanding of history, science and service through its collections, exhibitions and programming, in order to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth.
The Intrepid Museum is seeking a Director of Public Programs to manage and direct the Museum’s existing public programs, and create new dynamic adult programming that is both free and fee-based. The Director of public programs will be responsible for working with senior management to ensure that present and future content - rich programming aligns with the mission of the organization and expands Museum audience.
Essential Departmental Responsibilities:
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s Degree from a 4-year college/university or equivalent combination of academic and work experience as well as at least 6 years experience in event production and/or event programming including festivals, lectures, panels, films, and debates. Fundraising experience, knowledge of grant funding and sponsorship is preferred. The ideal candidate will have the ability to manage in a high stress, high visitor volume atmosphere, demonstrating leadership and an ability to handle changing field conditions. This person should be highly organized with a strong sense of personal accountability and follow-through. The ability to think independently, problem solve and troubleshoot and adapt to a fast-paced environment is necessary. Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills a must. Ability to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays, and evenings as necessary.
- Identifying talent and third-party content partners.
- Developing content for new and existing events, including researching and formalizing marketing relationships with key partners. Events range from large multi-day/ multi-partner events to smaller one day events and programming opportunities.
- Communicating and partnering with key departments within the museum to aide in successful implementation of each event. These departments include Information Technology, Museum Services, Special Events, Operations, Education, Marketing and Public Relations, among others.
- Preparing contracts, organizing logistics –travel and lodging for presenters and producing events.
- Planning, coordination and execution of each event within budget and in support of – when relevant – sponsorship partners
- Manages the schedule of operations for set up/breakdown of events: Direct and supervise workers in preparing rooms and halls during events, load-in/set-up, event execution, and load-out/breakdown. Inspect rooms and displays for conformance to needs and desires of department
- Determine and execute appropriate responses to problems and emergencies during events, handle complaints, and perform other duties to promote goodwill.
- Writing program notes, post event follow up with all partners and internal departments
- Performs other duties as required by management.
We offer a competitive salary, benefits and the opportunity to be a part of a very rewarding time in the Museum’s history!
For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in and your salary requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
|The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is an equal opportunity employer.