The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is one of America’s leading historic, cultural and educational institutions. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a national historic landmark, has welcomed more than 10 million visitors and currently welcomes almost one million visitors annually. The Museum's mission is "to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth." The Museum pursues this mission through a dynamic and enriching exhibition environment recounting human stories behind the machinery on display in relation to the service era of the Intrepid: in World War II, the Cold War, NASA recovery missions and three tours in Vietnam. In connection thereto, the Museum delivers a broad range of credible, innovative, and engaging educational programs supplementing classroom learning in history, science, and leadership as well as extensive public and proprietary programs honoring those who serve our country – all to inspire our youth.
The Intrepid Museum is looking for a Director of Membership to establish and implement strategies to acquire, upgrade and retain members. The Director is responsible for overseeing membership staff members and all aspects of the Intrepid Museum's individual and corporate membership programs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement new individual membership acquisition strategies for onsite opportunities and through online and mail solicitations
- Work closely with museum services staff to optimize Box Office acquisitions and with group sales and special events staff to identify and solicit other Museum constituencies
- Develop and implement strategies for retention of current individual members and growth to higher levels of annual membership
- Develop and implement corporate membership acquisition and retention strategies — working closely with fundraising, sponsorship and special events staff to coordinate most effective corporate approach
- Manage and evaluate membership services, benefits and policies
- Oversee the efficient fulfillment of acknowledgments, renewal solicitations and administration of benefits
- Collaborate with staff organization-wide to strengthen the membership program by advocating for a membership aspect to all ongoing and new programs that encourages new membership or early access to reservations
- Develop and manage processes for ensuring that members needs are met
- Develop membership marketing and promotional materials
- Develop online conversion strategies for social media friends and followers
- Supervise membership staff
- Monitor and implement museum membership best practices
- Update and maintain membership section of website
- Liaison with reciprocal museums
- Assist SVP with preparation and management of membership budget
Bachelor’s degree plus 4 or more years of previous experience in membership department of a museum; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Competent with Raiser's Edge and Patron's Edge or comparable databases required. The ideal candidate will have strong creative solution and strategic planning skills, knowledge of executing marketing strategies and strong metrics and data analysis skills. Supervisory experience a MUST. Ability to manage in a high stress, high visitor volume atmosphere, demonstrating leadership and an ability to handle changing field conditions. The candidate will have the ability to organize and manage multiple tasks; to liaise with a variety of technical and operational personnel and strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines. He/she must be proficient computer knowledge, including proficiency with word processing, database, PowerPoint and spreadsheet software. Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment. Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings as necessary.
We offer a competitive salary, benefits and the opportunity to be a part of a very rewarding time in the Museum's history!
For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in and your salary requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.