The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is a non-profit, educational institution featuring the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and a guided missile submarine. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a National Historic Landmark, welcomes more than 1 million visitors each year. The Mission of the Intrepid Museum is to promote the awareness and understanding of history, science and service through its collections, exhibitions and programming, in order to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth.
The Intrepid Museum is looking for a Director of Museum Services. This position manages daily operations of Museum visitor services which includes management of Supervisors, Box Office Staff, Floor Staff, Volunteers and Docents – leading the staff in providing a high level of customer service and satisfaction to ensure an excellent experience for all visitors, overseeing the selling of admissions to the Museum in the form of tickets and various packages, ensuring, with the assistance of maintenance, that guest areas are safe, clean and well maintained, responding to guest questions or complaints, informing guests regarding museum events, options, and services, ensuring visitors’ ease of entry, flow and exit; overseeing all visitor signage and wayfinding; maintaining accurate records, logs and financial controls for the box office safe, ticketing system and maintenance/equipment of the department. The director is the main conduit for coordination with other Museum departments ensuring the proper operation of the Museum and experience for the visitors.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Directly manages the Museum Services Supervisors, Museum Services Floor staff, Information Desk and Box Office staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include the hiring and training of employees; directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ability to work with and coordinate with other Museum departments.
- Ensures compliance of employees with established security, sales and record keeping procedures and practices.
- Prepares daily reports for SVP Business Development, President and other various Department Heads of Museum admissions, maintenance issues, and life/safety issues
- Informs staff of changes in policy, procedure and museum operations.
- Performs duties of Museum Services staff, Information Desk and Box Office staff as necessary.
- Coordinates with 3rd party vendors to ensure their compliance with Museum policies and procedures and also provides them with updates regarding the Museum, events, closures, and other relevant information
- Participates on various committees including the Committee on Institutional Aesthetics
Cash Handling and Administrative Duties
- Responsible for creating and managing Museum Services and Volunteer budgets – manage process from creation to presentation through approval.
- Responsible for management of department purchases – from creation of purchase order requests, ordering of product and materials, delivery and storage of such.
- Oversees the maintaining of accurate records, logs and financial reports.
- Training and familiarization of ticketing system, becoming a system administrator capable of training box office staff and new hires
- Maintain and update all other box office reports or logs and oversee maintaining of accurate procedures for Supervisors and others involved in daily cash out.
- Performs any other related duties as necessary.
- Oversee staff presentation, uniforms, customer service training and adherence to Museum standards, discipline and incentive programs.
Bachelor’s degree and 10 or more years of related box office, customer service and attraction experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Qualified candidates will have the ability to effectively present information in one on one and small group situations to customers, staff and superiors. Supervisory experience a MUST, with the ability to manage in a high stress, high visitor volume atmosphere, demonstrating leadership and an ability to handle changing field conditions. The ideal candidate must be comfortable in public speaking to both staff and museum guests with ability to direct individuals and/or groups. The candidate will have the ability to organize and manage multiple tasks; to liaise with a variety of technical and operational personnel and strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines. He/she must have proficient computer knowledge, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and the ability to understand and operate ticketing system for sales operation. Tessitura experience a plus. Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings as necessary.
We offer a competitive salary, benefits and the opportunity to be a part of a very rewarding time in the Museum’s history!
For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in and your salary requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is an equal opportunity employer.