The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is a non-profit, educational institution featuring the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and a guided missile submarine. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a National Historic Landmark, has welcomed more than 2 million visitors since 2012. The Mission of the Intrepid Museum is to promote the awareness and understanding of history, science and service through its collections, exhibitions and programming, in order to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth.
We are seeking a General Mechanic to maintain the ship, pier and other Museum facilities. The General Mechanic will also perform minor and routine painting, plumbing, electrical wiring, and other facility and shipboard related mechanical work and maintenance activities.
The essential duties include but are not limited to:
- Performing ongoing maintenance of the organization’s facilities and grounds as directed by the Operations Supervisor.
- Reading work order or receiving instructions from supervisor or foreman regarding maintenance and repair projects.
- Maintaining ship, pier and other facilities, performing minor and routine painting, plumbing, electrical wiring, and other related maintenance activities.
- Performing minor mechanical repairs and maintenance on pumps, ventilation equipment, air conditioning equipment, fire suppressions systems and on diesel, gas, propane, and electrically-powered equipment.
- Performing minor mechanical repairs and maintenance on diesel, gas, propane, and electrically-powered equipment
- Identifying employee and public safety concerns and bringing them to the attention of the Operations Supervisor.
- Insuring safety by cleaning debris, moving potential safety hazards, and draining gutters.
- Necessary training and certification for use of man-lift.
- Participating in marine and flight operations and maintenance and transportation of boats, barges and aircraft, including tank inspections, ship compartment inspections, line handling, and aircraft movement.
- Performing internal construction projects, ensuring their completion according to plans, specifications, schedules, budgets and contractual commitments.
- Responding to all facilities emergencies and assisting other Operations personnel with timely, cost effective resolutions or temporary setups.
- Assessing repair needs and estimating time needed for repair.
- Operating and performing basic maintenance on support equipment, including man-lift, fork-lift, Bobcat, portable ventilators/blowers, and other motorized equipment as necessary.
- Assisting in general technical, mechanical, and facilities maintenance duties as required by management.
- Performs other related duties as required by management
The ideal candidate will have 2-3 years previous experience with facilities maintenance including plumbing, electrical maintenance, mechanical repair and HVAC. Relevant general mechanical and electrical experience in maritime environment is required. Must have strong mechanical aptitude & general knowledge of vessel and/or building systems and equipment. Welding, soldering and brazing experience and/or aptitude for learning same is required. Necessary training and certification for use of hi-lo (forklift), man-lift, Bobcat, and related or similar motorized equipment is also required. Experience with marine mechanical and maintenance functions, including tank inspections, ship compartment inspections, line handling, and aircraft movement is required. Proficient in the use of Stick and Mig Arc welder is required. Must have an ability to read construction plans and work orders and execute projects as directed. Must also have an ability to work overtime, weekends, holidays, and evenings as necessary.
We offer a competitive salary, benefits and the opportunity to be a part of a very rewarding time in the Museum’s history!
For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in and your salary requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is an equal opportunity employer.