As an educational and cultural nonprofit institution, the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum promotes the awareness and understanding of history, science and service through its collections, exhibitions and programming in order to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth. Located in New York City on the Hudson River, the Intrepid Museum was founded in 1982 with the acquisition of the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, a National Historic Landmark. Welcoming one million visitors annually, the Museum also features the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and a guided missile submarine.
We are seeking Security Officers to guard the Museum property against fire, theft, vandalism, and illegal entry by performing the following duties:
- Stand at post and inspect visitors for appropriate identification and/or wristbands.
- Patrol, periodically, buildings, grounds, and ship.
- Examine doors, windows, and gates to determine that they are secure.
- Warn violators of rule infractions, such as loitering, smoking, or carrying forbidden articles, and apprehend or expel persons engaging in suspicious or criminal acts.
- Inspect equipment and machinery to ascertain if tampering has occurred.
- Watch for and report irregularities such as fire hazards, leaking water pipes, and security doors left unlocked.
- Observe departing personnel to guard against theft of company property.
- Sound alarm or call police or fire department by telephone in case of fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
- Conduct or assist with evacuations in case of fire or other emergencies.
- Permit authorized persons to enter property.
- Register at watch stations to record time of inspection trips.
- Record data such as property damage, unusual occurrences, and accidents or injuries, for use of supervisory staff.
- Regulate vehicle and pedestrian traffic at Museum entrance to maintain orderly flow.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management.
The ideal candidate will have a high school diploma or general education degree (GED); one or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Candidate must have New York State security license. Ability to work overtime, weekends, holidays, and evenings as necessary is required.
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and the opportunity to be a part of a very rewarding time in the Museum’s history!
For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Be sure to include the title of the position in which you are interested.
No phone calls please.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is an equal opportunity employer.