The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is one of America’s leading historic, cultural and educational institutions. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a national historic landmark, has welcomed more than 10 million visitors and currently welcomes almost one million visitors annually. The Museum's mission is "to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth." The Museum pursues this mission through a dynamic and enriching exhibition environment recounting human stories behind the machinery on display in relation to the service era of the Intrepid: in World War II, the Cold War, NASA recovery missions and three tours in Vietnam. In connection thereto, the Museum delivers a broad range of credible, innovative, and engaging educational programs supplementing classroom learning in history, science, and leadership as well as extensive public and proprietary programs honoring those who serve our country – all to inspire our youth.
The Intrepid Museum is looking for a Manager, Corporate and Social Events. This position is responsible for selling, planning and managing events for external clients.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Event Management Duties
- Responsible for selling external client revenue-generating events including, but not limited to: corporate events, social events, photo shoots, film/TV shoots, press events, movie screenings, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs.
- Generate event sales through outreach, cold-calling, networking and other means.
- Maintain business contacts within the events industry to generate new business and sales.
- Meet sales revenue goals each fiscal period.
- Responsible for life cycle of individual events: Management of event from initial walk-through with client, client meetings, contract negotiation, production notes, vendor communication, catering communication, calendar upkeep, P&L, event set up/breakdown, follow up with client after the event.
- Direct and supervise workers in preparing rooms and halls during special events load-in/set-up, event execution, and load-out/breakdown.
- Build and generate sales of Intrepid events by: Attending industry meetings and networking events, setting up meetings and walk throughs of Intrepid space with potential clients, continue to meet with vendors to increase Intrepid’s visibility to event world.
- Communicate and incorporate creative sales ideas.
- Assist with Special Events Marketing needs.
- Responsible for purchasing and maintaining appropriate office and production supplies inventory.
- Maintain departmental records and files, including purchasing, Special Event invoices, and profitability reports.
- Determine and execute appropriate responses to problems and emergencies during events, handle customer complaints, and perform other duties to promote goodwill.
- Provide weekly project reports to Director of Special Events and maintain Special Event calendar.
Perform other duties as required by management.
Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university or equivalent; or three or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong proficiency in Microsoft office including proficiency with word processing, database, and mastery of spreadsheet software is required. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and organizational skills, attention to detail skills and an ability to multi task effectively. The ideal candidate will have strong project management skills, including the ability to manage and track multiple project schedules and related financial data. This candidate will be able to supervise, train and motivate staff effectively with strong team building skills. He/She will have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations; ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. An ability to be flexible, proactive and resourceful is highly valued. Ability to work weekends, holidays, and other overtime as necessary.
We offer a competitive salary, benefits and the opportunity to be a part of a very rewarding time in the Museum’s history! For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com. Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in and your salary requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.