The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is a non-profit, educational institution featuring the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and a guided missile submarine. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a National Historic Landmark, has welcomed more than 2 million visitors since 2012. The Mission of the Intrepid Museum is to promote the awareness and understanding of history, science and service through its collections, exhibitions and programming, in order to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth.
The Intrepid Museum is seeking a Digital Designer to assist with designing, organizing and updating the Museum’s digital creative assets, including the website, email marketing, and digital signage. This person provides additional design support as needed for printed materials such as signs and invitations. Experienced in a MAC environment, the Digital Designer will work on individual and team projects on behalf of numerous departments within the Museum including Marketing, Membership, Education, Institutional Advancement, Exhibits and others.
Essential Departmental Responsibilities:
- Consults with Digital Design Manager to plan website development/design changes.
- Refreshes website content to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information and images.
- Designs landing pages, web banners and PDFs as needed for website
- Designs email blasts as well as manage list database, execute distribution, extract and interpret reports
- Integrates new technologies into website with guidance from Design Manager
- Analyzes traffic to Web site and recommends any necessary programming changes.
- Manages transfer of files and memory allocation for Web site on the server.
- Creates automatic systems of data and content storage on Web site.
- Provides technical support and participates in employee Web site training.
- Collaborates with external vendors and partners on special Web site events, promotions, marketing campaigns, or specific design projects.
- Works with Design Manager to create internal Web sites running on proprietary intranets in conjunction with IT department.
Art Direction, Graphic Design & Flash Media
- Prepares illustrations, rough sketches, or sample layouts of material according to direction from Design Manager.
- Takes, scans, and electronically manipulates digital photos using photo manipulation software to clean-up pictures or adjust them for various uses.
- Prepares layout prints for Design Manager.
- Presents samples to Design Manager or designee for selection and approval.
- Creates finished layout according to the direction of the Design Manager or designee, suggests improvements as needed, and presents final layout.
- Prepares final layout for printer on paper, film, or disk. Checks proofs.
- Maintains image resource files.
- Develop flash and video media to be programmed on screens in and around the museum complex.
- Performs other duties as required by management.
Preferred Software requirements:
HTML (hand coded)
CSS (hand coded)
Content Management Systems
Adobe After Effects
Final Cut Pro
The ideal candidate will have a Fifth year college or university program certificate in Design or Art and 2 to 4 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in website/print production. The candidate must have strong knowledge of web page programming, including HTML, Flash, Java, and other appropriate languages. This candidate will have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. He/she must be proficient computer knowledge, including proficiency with word processing, database, PowerPoint and spreadsheet software and have expert proficiency with design software including Adobe Creative Suite and other art and layout software. The candidate should have strong knowledge of web page programming, including HTML, Flash, Java, and other appropriate languages. Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment. Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings as necessary.
For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in and your salary requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.