Assistant Web & Graphic Designer
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is one of America’s leading historic, cultural and educational institutions. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a national historic landmark, has welcomed more than 10 million visitors and currently welcomes almost one million visitors annually. The Museum's mission is "to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth." The Museum pursues this mission through a dynamic and enriching exhibition environment recounting human stories behind the machinery on display in relation to the service era of the Intrepid: in World War II, the Cold War, NASA recovery missions and three tours in Vietnam. In connection thereto, the Museum delivers a broad range of credible, innovative, and engaging educational programs supplementing classroom learning in history, science, and leadership as well as extensive public and proprietary programs honoring those who serve our country – all to inspire our youth.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is looking for an Assistant Web & Graphic Designer to Assist with developing, organizing and managing museum websites and produce art and copy layouts for material to be presented by visual communications media such as books, magazines, newspapers, television, electronic media, exhibits, and signage to support the functions of the Marketing, Exhibits, Fundraising and Education departments of the museum.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Consults with New Media Designer to plan Web site development/design changes.
- Refreshes Web site content to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information and images.
- Design multiple web banners in various formats
- Design landing pages
- Design email blasts and execute distribution.
- Integrates new technologies into Web site with guidance from New Media Designer
- Answers or forwards to New Media Designer any Web site-related e-mail questions from users.
- Analyzes traffic to Web site and recommends any necessary programming changes.
- Manages transfer of files and memory allocation for Web site on the server.
- Creates automatic systems of data and content storage on Web site.
- Provides technical support and participates in employee Web site training.
- Collaborates with external vendors and partners on special Web site events, promotions, marketing campaigns, or specific design projects.
- Works with New Media Designer to create internal Web sites running on proprietary intranets in conjunction with IT department.
Art Direction, Graphic Design & Flash Media
- Prepares illustrations, rough sketches, or sample layouts of material according to instructions of New Media Designer.
- Takes, scans, and electronically manipulates digital photos using photo manipulation software to clean-up pictures or adjust them for various uses.
- Prepares layout prints for New Media Designer.
- Presents samples to New Media Designer or designee for selection and approval.
- Creates finished layout according to the direction of the New Media Designer or designee, suggests improvements as needed, and presents final layout.
- Prepares final layout for printer on paper, film, or disk. Checks proofs.
- Maintains image resource files.
- Create powerpoint presentation template and assist various departments in enhancing content.
- Develop flash and video media to be programmed on screens in and around the museum complex.
Performs other duties as required by management.
Preferred Software requirements:
HTML (hand coded)
Adobe After Effects
Final Cut Pro
The ideal candidate will have a Fifth year college or university program certificate in Design or Art and 2 to 4 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in website/print production. The candidate must have strong knowledge of web page programming, including HTML, Flash, Java, and other appropriate languages. This candidate will have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. He/she must be proficient computer knowledge, including proficiency with word processing, database, PowerPoint and spreadsheet software and have expert proficiency with design software including Adobe Creative Suite and other art and layout software. The candidate should have strong knowledge of web page programming, including HTML, Flash, Java, and other appropriate languages. Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment. Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings as necessary.
For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in and your salary requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is an equal opportunity employer.