Intrepid Museum Programs and Exhibitions
Rainbow Band
Purchase Tickets
Home > July 2015 > This Month in Intrepid’s History
This Month in Intrepid’s History
Posted: 7/16/2015 12:00:00 AM

USS Intrepid was commissioned on August 16, 1943, joining the U.S. Navy in the middle of World War II. For the next two years the ship and crew trained, fitted out and fought their way across the Pacific Ocean. Along the way, the contributions the ship and crew made to victory were vital and the price they paid was high. Travel with our Museum tour guides here each month as they follow Intrepid’s journey and its crew’s experience throughout World War II.

June and July 1945: A Beginning at War’s End

The first of June 1945 found Intrepid back in Hunters Point, California. The ship needed repairs following its latest encounter with kamikaze suicide planes. As shipyard staff went to work on the damage, someone posted a sign nearby reminding them that “This Fighting Lady has a date in Tokio, DON’T MAKE HER LATE!” By the end of the month, the workers were finished, the crew was on board, and Intrepid was ready for yet another foray into the Pacific War. Of course, we now know that the war would soon be over, but at the time, the departure from California marked yet another uncertain beginning for the crew.

A Date in Tokyo
While shipyard workers repaired Intrepid’s latest battle damage, this sign hung nearby and cheered them on. (USS Intrepid Cruise Book, 1963)

While Intrepid was under repair, the Okinawa campaign had finally drawn to a close. With Okinawa secure, Intrepid’s crew knew that a far more dangerous target—Japan itself—would be their next objective. Corsair pilot Roy Erickson later recalled his feelings as Intrepid pulled away from the Golden Gate Bridge: “I was flushed with a wave of emotion as the bridge slowly disappeared over the horizon. It was one of the strongest poignant experiences that I had during my Navy tour. I thought it would be the last time I would ever see this beautiful edifice.” Sid Overall, a fellow squadron member, expressed similar feelings later on. He wrote, “It was indeed a dismal moment, and our morale hit an all-time low as we stood on deck watching the California coastline and all it represented, fade slowly away on the horizon.”

Though the captain and most of the crew sailed with Intrepid on June 29, some men stayed behind. According to Radar Operator Ray Stone, the senior medical officer decided that Intrepid’s original crew had seen enough battle action and that they should be assigned to other duty. For Stone, a plank owner who had helped bring Intrepid into commission two years earlier, the parting was difficult. “That I would even consider leaving my ship, and leaving my buddies, made me feel like a deserter … In less than a month, after the ship arrived back in the States, I was emptying my locker, packing my sea bag. I felt as I did when emptying one of my fallen buddy’s lockers. Empty.”

Intrepid arrived at Pearl Harbor on July 5, offloaded passengers and cargo and began two major training maneuvers that ran through most of July. On July 30, Intrepid left Pearl Harbor, bound for Eniwetok and a reunion with the Third Fleet. Along the way, Intrepid was scheduled for another training maneuver—a day of strikes against Wake Island.

Aerial shot
Taken in June 1945, this aerial reconnaissance photo of Wake Island shows the damage already inflicted on the isolated Japanese garrison before Intrepid’s “practice run” in early August. (Collection of the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. Gift of the children of Alfred Lerch. P2012.80.07)

Back in December 1941, when the Japanese moved to seize Wake Island, a handful of U.S. marines and construction workers held their ground in one of the war’s most legendary last stands. Though the defenders of Wake were eventually overwhelmed, their valor earned Wake the nickname “Alamo of the Pacific.” Yet for such a symbolically important possession, Wake’s strategic value was limited. When the U.S. Navy went on the offensive across the central Pacific Ocean in late 1943, Wake was raided by U.S. aircraft and then “hopped” over, leaving the island’s small Japanese garrison to rot. In the years that followed, it became something of a rite of passage for any passing carrier to use the island as target practice.

Upon arriving off Wake late on August 5, Air Group 10 commander John Hyland prepared his pilots for training strikes. Hyland wasn’t terribly enthusiastic about the operation. Wake’s Japanese defenders lacked air cover, but their guns still worked. As he later explained, “If there is anything that sounds unreasonable to a pilot, it is the idea that he should practice encountering fire from an anti-aircraft gun.” Throughout the following day, Intrepid launched 193 sorties against targets across Wake, without a single loss to enemy fire. By evening, Intrepid’s only casualties were two Helldivers with equipment failures. Both Helldiver crews made water landings and were picked up by destroyers.

Intrepid continued on to Eniwetok. The crew likely expected the next battle to be far more costly. No one yet realized that Wake was Intrepid’s final battle of the Pacific War. That same day, on the other side of the Pacific, a B-29 bomber dropped the first atomic bomb on the city of Hiroshima.

Michael Murtagh
Senior Tour Guide


Read the previous installments of "This Month in Intrepid's History":

October 1943
November 1943
December 1943
January 1944
February 1944
March 1944
April 1944
May 1944
June 1944
July 1944
August 1944
September 1944
October 1944
November 1944
December 1944
January 1945
February 1945
March 1945
April and May 1945




News Archive

September 2023(1)
August 2023(1)
May 2023(3)
April 2023(2)
February 2023(1)
January 2023(1)
December 2022(1)
October 2022(3)
September 2022(1)
August 2022(1)
July 2022(1)
June 2022(1)
May 2022(1)
April 2022(2)
December 2021(1)
October 2021(1)
September 2021(1)
August 2021(2)
July 2021(1)
June 2021(1)
May 2021(1)
April 2021(2)
March 2021(2)
February 2021(1)
February 2022(5)
January 2021(1)
December 2020(2)
October 2020(4)
September 2020(1)
June 2020(1)
April 2020(5)
February 2020(6)
January 2020(2)
December 2019(3)
November 2019(7)
October 2019(2)
September 2019(2)
August 2019(1)
July 2019(2)
June 2019(1)
May 2019(4)
April 2019(3)
March 2019(1)
February 2019(3)
January 2019(2)
December 2018(5)
November 2018(2)
October 2018(4)
September 2018(7)
August 2018(7)
July 2018(2)
May 2018(5)
April 2018(3)
March 2018(2)
February 2018(6)
January 2018(5)
December 2017(2)
November 2017(3)
October 2017(3)
September 2017(1)
August 2017(6)
July 2017(7)
June 2017(5)
May 2017(10)
April 2017(1)
March 2017(4)
February 2017(9)
January 2017(6)
December 2016(3)
November 2016(5)
October 2016(3)
September 2016(3)
August 2016(3)
July 2016(1)
May 2016(1)
April 2016(4)
March 2016(4)
February 2016(3)
January 2016 (6)
December 2015(5)
November 2015(5)
October 2015(6)
September 2015(9)
August 2015(8)
July 2015(7)
June 2015(7)
May 2015(9)
April 2015(5)
March 2015(5)
February 2015(7)
December 2014(6)
November 2014(5)
October 2014(6)
September 2014(8)
August 2014(7)
July 2014(5)
June 2014(5)
May 2014(9)
April 2014(7)
March 2014(7)
February 2014(5)
January 2014(4)
December 2013(7)
November 2013(8)
October 2013(8)
September 2013(8)
August 2013(9)
July 2013(9)
June 2013(2)
May 2013(2)
March 2013(5)
February 2013(3)
January 2013(6)
December 2012(12)
November 2012(3)
October 2012(1)
September 2012(3)
August 2012(4)
July 2012(2)
june 2012(6)
May 2012(4)
April 2012(7)
March 2012(1)
February 2012(4)
January 2012(1)
December 2011(2)
November 2011(4)
October 2011(2)
September 2011(5)
August 2011(6)
July 2011(6)
June 2011(10)
May 2011(11)
April 2011(10)
March 2011(11)
February 2011(9)
January 2011(6)
December 2010(10)
November 2010(8)
October 2010(5)
September 2010(7)
August 2010(11)
July 2010(9)
June 2010(9)
May 2010(10)
April 2010(5)
March 2010(6)
February 2010(3)
January 2010(3)
December 2009(3)
November 2009(8)
October 2009(3)
September 2009(4)
August 2009(4)
July 2009(11)
June 2009(5)